For the modern Milanista

Batman

Visiting Milan

13 Aug 2016, 13:11

Hello everyone! So I'm going to Milan next weekend to watch our opening match against Torino. I'm so excited as it will be my first time ever. Milanist suggested that I start a topic here to ask my fellow milanisti about the things one can do there. Figured it could be useful for others who might visit Milan in the future.. so if you have any experiences and tips about visiting the city of Milan, Casa Milan, Milanello, or anything Milan-related, this is the place to share them!

It looks like I'm only going to be there for the weekend so I'm trying to fit in as much as possible.
Till now my plan is attend the match and also go on this tour of San Siro and Casa Milan. I found out about this tour online and it actually seems pretty nice. It would take about half a day and I read some great reviews about it. I'm still debating whether or not to go to Milanello as I don't know about the transportation and what not.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Serie Beast

Re: Visiting Milan

13 Aug 2016, 16:39

I visited several years ago from Austria. I would get a weekend length metro ticket so you can travel around the city. When I arrived in Milan, I first found my hostel and then went to San Siro since I wanted to see the stadium, which is still magnificent. At that time, the Milan jersey store and museum were there too. (The jersey store probably still is.) Until the match started, I went to the old part of town where the central square and cathedral are. I would suggest doing that because the cathedral is very cool. Then I walked to a red colored fort and was accosted by some Africans who were trying to sell bracelets. Watch out for those guys. After that, I just walked around the city some more before seeing the match. We lost to Fiorentina, but it was still a great experience.

For you, I would probably add Casa Milan to the list. If Milanello is within reach of the metro/bus system, you could try visiting there, but I don't know how open to the public it is.

Batman

13 Aug 2016, 16:57

Serie Beast wrote:
I visited several years ago from Austria. I would get a weekend length metro ticket so you can travel around the city. When I arrived in Milan, I first found my hostel and then went to San Siro since I wanted to see the stadium, which is still magnificent. At that time, the Milan jersey store and museum were there too. (The jersey store probably still is.) Until the match started, I went to the old part of town where the central square and cathedral are. I would suggest doing that because the cathedral is very cool. Then I walked to a red colored fort and was accosted by some Africans who were trying to sell bracelets. Watch out for those guys. After that, I just walked around the city some more before seeing the match. We lost to Fiorentina, but it was still a great experience.

For you, I would probably add Casa Milan to the list. If Milanello is within reach of the metro/bus system, you could try visiting there, but I don't know how open to the public it is.

Thanks a lot man! Can't wait to go.
I actually heard that there still is a museum in San Siro although I have no idea what it contains given that there's one in Casa Milan as well. May as well check them both out lol

Hitman

13 Aug 2016, 17:17

i went to milan last fall for the expo.. it was pretty cool. we went for 4 days, we rented a place in lake como and drove to milan every day..

definitely visit casa milan and the museum. make sure you go at a time when the museum is open. it's something to be proud of, good job to barbara for that. also check out the milan store, it has significantly changed since barbara came in, the merchandise is pretty cool.

if you have a day off, i recommend going to como and renting a boat for 4-5 hours and cruise through the lake. hook up some nice ish, get some booze and snacks, a nice group of 4-6 ppl and you're good. if you do decide to do this, make sure you don't do my mistake and return after the sun sets! haha

Batman

14 Aug 2016, 18:40

Hitman wrote:
i went to milan last fall for the expo.. it was pretty cool. we went for 4 days, we rented a place in lake como and drove to milan every day..

definitely visit casa milan and the museum. make sure you go at a time when the museum is open. it's something to be proud of, good job to barbara for that. also check out the milan store, it has significantly changed since barbara came in, the merchandise is pretty cool.

if you have a day off, i recommend going to como and renting a boat for 4-5 hours and cruise through the lake. hook up some nice ish, get some booze and snacks, a nice group of 4-6 ppl and you're good. if you do decide to do this, make sure you don't do my mistake and return after the sun sets! haha

Haha nice it sounds like you really had a nice time. The only problem for me is that I'm only going to be there for 2 days and a half but I will definitely keep lake Como in mind for sure! Thanks for the reply!

ForzaMilan

15 Aug 2016, 17:45

I was in Milan in May and from the area around the Duomo to San Siro isn't far but costs around 10-15 euros which isn't bad. Duomo is a must see for first time visitors.. really beautiful Gothic style architecture.
Compared to the rest of Italy Milan feels very different. Not as historic or as many things to do/see you could say. Careful with street vendors who keep trying to sell bracelets "For Africa" as they say but then charge for "donations". Good rule is to never give money to anyone on the streets while traveling.
You are also close to lake como which is beautiful.. I highly recommend PizzaAM which is the best pizza in Milano... there's always a long line though so go early before they open for lunch. Another excellent Italian place was Trattoria de la trebia.. great food and wine. You need reservations for the last one.

I'd suggest 2-3 full days is enough for Milan... you are also 2 hours away by train to Venezia which is stunning and quite the experience.

Have fun!

Jasper
The Maldini of Multimedia

15 Aug 2016, 20:49

ForzaMilan wrote:
Careful with street vendors who keep trying to sell bracelets "For Africa" as they say but then charge for "donations"!

I donated 4 good luck and got a bracelet and then we won vs Barca. :o

You didn't happen to not donate before the return leg, did you?
Only Maldini can judge me